- 10-Mar-2017 to 09-May-2017 (MST)
- Phoenix Youth Resource Center
- Phoenix, AZ, USA
- $11 - $13
- Full Time
There are many homeless youth on the streets who, for one reason or another, do not want to enter a shelter or program. Tumbleweed connects with these young people through street outreach services. Our goal is to engage them through support services that include food, case management, permanent housing to end the cycle of homelessness and guide them towards self-sufficiency. This position requires individuals to meet and engage with homeless youth living on the streets in the greater Phoenix Metropolitan area. Please read the description in its entirety before submitting your resume.
JOB BRIEF: The Outreach Worker will provide primary level services (food and water, hygiene,) and secondary level services (crisis counseling, group training and linkages to appropriate community resources) on the streets and in the Youth Resource Center with the ultimate objective to offer youth a way out of the streets and into safer living environments.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Two years education or one year experience with troubled adolescents.
- Responsible for co-facilitating the continuity of daily program structure at the Drop-In Center and assisting in the overall communication process within the facility
- Responsible for giving immediacy to the needs of homeless and runaway youth on the streets.
- Utilize a Harm Reduction (gradual minimization of risk behavior over time) approach to youth encountered on the streets.
- Responsible for providing community education regarding the Agency and the challenges of youth experiencing homelessness and runaway youth as needed and requested by the Program Manager.
- Responsible to work collaboratively and effectively with members of the collaborating agencies staff and volunteer staff.
- Implement an outreach model and process which includes the following tasks: provide supplies, transportation, immediate problem solving, referral and general education to youth on the streets, and their companion pets.
- Ensure proper usage of secured and unsecured area of the Youth Resource Center to support safety of clients, visitors, volunteers and staff.
- Offer attention to the immediate needs and spend time with youth to model how to do tasks when necessary to assist youth in meeting their goals.
- Maintain accurate records and logs regarding on- going interactions with youth to ensure quality documentation and communication flow.
- Supervise the activities in the Youth Resource Center and manage traffic in the common areas to provide safety and leadership to youth.
- Facilitate life skill exercises including assisting youth with basic needs, communicate special needs to case manager to promote quality care.
- Co-facilitate prevention, networking and educational sessions for community resources to provide education to the community and promote awareness of the issues affecting homeless and runaway youth.
- Attend and participate in staffing to enhance teamwork amongst staff members.
- Attend seminars and workshops to continue professional development.
The examples of functions listed in this job specification are representative, but not necessarily exhaustive or descriptive of any one position in the class. Management is not precluded from assigning other related functions not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment for the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with a qualified disability to perform the essential functions of a job, on a case-by-case basis.
Candidate must have a reputation for honesty and trustworthiness. Misdemeanor and/for felony convictions may be disqualifying depending on type, number, severity, and how recent charges were. Prior to appointment, candidates will be subject to a background investigation.
PROBATIONAL PERIOD AND CLASS HISTORY
Incumbents appointed to permanent positions in this classification shall serve a probationary period of 3 months.